Au Gratin Potatoes
4 medium potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 small onion, sliced into rings
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a casserole dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Season with salt and
pepper to taste.
- Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir
constantly with a whisk for one minute.
- Whisk in milk.
- Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in cheese and continue stirring until melted.
- Pour mixture over the potatoes, and cover the dish with foil.
- Bake about an hour until potatoes are soft enough to eat.